Music and Gender

Good Morning! Good Afternoon! Good Night! I'm not sure what time you're arriving here and I'd rather not presume, so I'm going to go ahead and cover as many bases as possible. Now that that's out of the way, welcome! 

Today we're going to be discussing cultural connections between music and gender. In my personal experiences, I've noticed that there are indeed very defined categories between music and gender.
It seems that despite societal gender roles seemingly progressing, many people continue to hold very traditional ideas of what is acceptable for men and women. Women are typically expected to sing about love, heartbreak, and practically chaste topics while men are free to express whatever please. 
    
An example of this would of course be the contemporary WAP argument. However, I will not include a sample of this song here because you'll find that even the clean version sounds rather explicit.

What is expected of women: 
What is expected of men:

I really wouldn't advise anyone to listen to the previous song. I added it to make a point that while there are extreme limitations on what is socially acceptable for women to sing about which has been shown through the public reaction to WAP, there are absolutely none whatsoever for men and they are even lauded for it. It's so wild that men can write entire albums about female genitalia while it's basically taboo for women to even acknowledge its existence.

Comments

Popular Posts